3.19.2012

our man...



turned one year old yesterday!  how did we ever live without him?  as most of you know, matt and i took our sweet time to have kids.  i had been known to say "i hate kids" every now and then.  then we got the bug to have a babe.  we were just about as nervous as they come - i had replayed every horror story i had ever heard over and over again (why do you hear so many of these while pregnant?), prepared myself mentally for all the horrible sleepless nights and nursing nightmares/infections, etc. etc.  we went out for a final dinner before he was born - we told people that we were literally dying on march 18th.  THEN HE CAME!  and honestly everything was completely different than i expected.  those first few weeks were some of the best i'd ever had. he was so cute!  he was so funny!  he is so charming!  we loved spending hours just watching him and laughing at his crazy forehead and sounds.  he completely changed the spirit in our little apartment.  but what about all the awful things?  they don't matter because you really really like him.  AND all the things we did before were even more fun with our new adorable little sidekick!  he has changed our lives and makes us want to be better peeps.  what a joy.  why the heck didn't we do this sooner?








i think he was trying to ride the giraffe before he fell asleep?

we love you so much, wells!  we have loved watching you in all of your weird sleeping positions (your current most common pose is sitting indian styleish and just falling forward, often face down), listening to you sing to the radio, learning that boys can be very cautious, watching you down a banana like a monkey, seeing you shriek and shrill in happiness around dogs, watching you light up when we sing the duck song, feeling your little chubby hands climb up our legs cause it's time to be held, learning that baldies can be handsome, hearing you moan and crawl to me ensuring that we are ALWAYS within about a foot of each other (the bathroom is no exception), and watching you go from one cupboard to the next taking everything out.  there is no one in the world i would rather spend my days with.


happy birthday, little cutie! 





ps here a couple of my favorite clips from the past few months.  please forgive the nasty apartment in the second one.   

15 comments:

The Castletons said...

I am seriously laughing out loud at this post. I love all the pictures (especially the one with Matt in the crib and Wells riding his giraffe, so hilarious!)
I can't believe he is one! Time flies.
PS. LOVE your birth announcement. Where did you get it done??

Chelsea said...

Happy Birthday Wells!!!! I can't believe that boy is already one, these boys really have grown up waaaay too fast. He is such an adorable, funny, loveable little boy Maddie. Me and Tate just watched all the video's you have on Vimeo of him and Tate said "I just love my Wells". I love the way you describe how he makes your life so much better! I hope you guys celebrated well:) I'm sure you did!

xoxo

Brittney said...

What a cutie! I can't believe he is already 1. Happy Birthday to Wells! Kids are pretty great ...

traci said...

Happy Birthday Wells! What a cute little boy. I really cannot believe he is already one! That flew by way to fast. Love you guys!

traci said...

*too* I hate typos!

Tyler and Dru said...

I left you a comment yesterday but it didn't save i guess. i love this post. so many classic pictures! riding the giraffe had me laughing out loud! and matt in the crib. such a typical matt moment with wells crying :) I miss that boy! I've had withdrawals the past couple of days. He's the perfect child. honestly, i hope i get so lucky to have a boy like wells or graham. Happy Birthday Wells!

Lindsey said...

Oh Maddie this post is perfect! I love that boy and can't wait to celebrate his b-day together soon. Happy Birthday Wells!

lesley said...

Maddie,
Your little Wells is a doll! I loved meeting him and see all of you. He is so handsome, and this post it so real, I loved it. It's so true... did you ever think your heart could feel this way for a little person? Thanks for sharing. He's a doll.
Lesley

Anonymous said...

I love the giraffe-that is so cute. Happy Birthday Wells!!

Alisha said...

Oh my gosh he is SUCH a little cutie!!!!! I miss you guys!! Sorry I'm the worst blogger EVER. I can hardly handle my email that is always exploding.

I love you!!! When are you coming to CA next? Or to UT? Let's meet up!!

matt and eve lloyd said...

How am I just commenting on this post? The worst aunt ever. HAPPY BIRTHDAY WELLS!!! I'm so glad we got to spend the day with you. Thanks for being Graham's BFF, and pretty much the coolest baby we know. The pictures and video- hilarious. I love the crib picture. I must say that I've crawled in Graham's crib a couple of times as well. Desperate times call for desperate measures. Love this little man!

Karin said...

Matt and I are dying over the picture of Matt in the crib with Wells. How has it been a year?! We miss you guys!!

Collin and Danny said...

What a handsome little guy. I can't believe he is one! Happy birthday Wells! These pics are adorable, and I'm amazed at how fast he is growing. I love his bald little head, his two bottom teeth, and the pic where he's riding the giraffe. Cracks me up. He is just so cute. Miss you guys!

Troy, Erin and baby Boston said...

Maddie, I can't believe he's one!!! It's crazy how fast time goes... Boston's 6 months of life have flown! Anyway, Wells is such a cutie :) I love reading your posts and seeing pictures of him. I hope I can see him in person sometime soon! Miss you!!!

Meeker home said...

I swear I commented on this post, but apparently I did not. Sorry Eve- I guess I take the "worst aunt ever" award. I love your story of being the skeptic. There is just no way to imagine what being a parent is going to feel like. So glad it has surprised you with its awesomeness! What to say about Mr. Wells? He is the most adorable little thing! That forehead...I will always remember that expressive forehead when I think of baby Wells. I really really really wish we lived closer together! Tess sure does too. She misses her Wells. Can't wait to see you guys in June!

Blog Archive